There is a Hebrew expression for a situation in which Israel has no choice but to wage war no matter the cost. That expression is ein brira which literally means “no choice”. The advanced development of the Iranian nuclear weapons program means that Israel will face a number of wholly predictable, yet inevitable situations of military choice which will all constitute ein brira:
1. Israel has no choice but to destroy the Iranian nuclear weapons program as Iran is determined to destroy Israel and will use nuclear weapons to annihilate Israel’s Jewish population.
Iran will order its Hezbollah proxy to unleash vast barrages of rockets and missiles, some with chemical warheads. While many terrorist projectiles will be intercepted by Israel’s multilayered missile defense systems, many terrorist projectiles will nevertheless cause extensive destruction in Israeli Jewish population centers and non-intercepted terrorist projectiles with chemical warheads will cause many Halabja massacres in Jewish cities of Israel. Hezbollah will try to unleash its entire terrorist projectile arsenal since Iran realizes that this is Hezbollah’s last war. There will be thousands and possibly even tens of thousands of dead Israeli civilians from the chemical weapons attacks.
2. Israel will have no choice but to nuke the city of Qom, the clerical capital of Iran to deter further attacks with chemical weapons against Israel.
Hezbollah’s terrorist projectiles will target Israel Jewish cities with the aim of causing as much carnage and destruction as possible and Israeli hospitals will be overwhelmed with wounded civilians. Hezbollah will try to unleash their entire arsenal of 150 000 rockets and missiles since this is Hezbollah’s last war.
3. Israel will have no choice but to invade and liberate Hezbollah-controlled Lebanon and Ba’ath-controlled Syria from the forces of totalitarianism as Hezbollah is intertwined with the militaries and intelligence services of both countries and is spread out throughout Lebanon and Syria.
Once Syria and Lebanon are under Israeli control will Israel have no choice but to establish perpetual peace.
4. Israel will have no choice but to redraw boundaries in accordance with Israel’s interests in order to secure strategic victory. Israel will a) establish an Aramean Christian state (Aram), b) annex Median Jewish (Alawite and Druze) regions of Syria and Lebanon to Israel, c) hand over most of Syria to the SDF (Syrian Democratic Democratic Forces) of the Israel-aligned AANES (Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria), d) the new PYD (Democratic Union Party) government in Damascus will annex the remainder of Lebanon, e) there will be a trilateral peace agreement between Jerusalem and the new governments in Beirut and Damascus and f) Israel will withdraw from all areas except those annexed by Israel.
This is the inexorable sequence of war that is practically speaking inevitable due to Iran’s determination to destroy Israel and annihilate its population. Hamas and PIJ (Palestinian Islamic Jihad) will unleash parts of their terrorist projectiles against Israel. Israel will in all likelihood not liberate Gaza but this possibility cannot be entirely excluded. The difference is that there will likely be no ein brira with Gaza.
Often in wars one thing inexorably leads to another and this time the northern theater and the eastern theater will be entirely predictable although the southern theater is less so. Israel’s destruction of the Iranian nuclear weapons program should not be expected until after the Turkish presidential and parliamentary elections which are scheduled for June 2023 and in which the opposition is expected to win. The war will be followed by mass Aliyah (immigration) to Israel of many millions of Median Jews from Turkey but also from Iraq.
5. Once at least 10 million Median Jews have immigrated will Israel have no choice but to redeem and enfranchise the entire Judea and Samaria, invade and liberate Gaza and subsequently hand over the region to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan which will be very happy to annex this very attractive coastal area. This is also ein brira since peace is a binding imperative and there is literally no other way to attain perpetual peace.
A major question mark is Iran. Will either the US or more likely a regional alliance led by Israel and the KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) impose a no-fly zone over Iran and provide air support to armed rebellions in the ethnic periphery subsequent to Israel’s destruction of the Iranian nuclear weapons program? In that case there will also be major Aliyah to Israel of millions of Median Jews from Iran.
While Israel’s allies no doubt will have their criticisms and there will be disagreements, it is nevertheless essential to already now explain Israel’s multiple instances of ein brira to leading military experts of friendly countries so that they can certify to their respective governments that these are indeed cases of ein brira.
Israel literally has no choice but to a) survive, b) attain strategic victory and c) establish perpetual peace.